From the desk of the Principal:
Greetings from Hilton High School! I hope this newsletter finds you enjoying the best the holiday season has to offer. Students and staff at the high school are hard at work as we’ve begun the second marking period. Our “winter season” is upon us and many student activities and athletics are well under way.
Beginning our second marking quarter means that students now know “officially” where they stand academically in all their classes as the first recorded grades are in. The first report card should also allow students and parents the opportunity for reflection of past practices and hopefully goal setting for the future.
Mon, December 2nd is ACADEMIC PLANNING and FINANCIAL AID NIGHT at the HS – 7:00PM
Please join us at the HS for a night of information set to assist students and parents in course selection and future planning; including an information session on financial aid for perspective college students/families. The night will feature a scheduling overview, followed by a “course fair” where staff members will be available to answer questions about electives, course offerings, sequences and special programs.
“Principal’s Pride” from the First Quarter at Hilton HS:
· Our first marking period showed that 914 students achieved at least honor roll status by earning an overall quarterly average of 85% or higher. That’s 65% of our total population (1411) reaching “mastery level” on their first report card. Keep up the great work students and let’s raise the total for quarter 2!
· We have 82 (Wow!) students that were inducted as new members in our National Honor Society. Students have been notified and our formal induction ceremony will be held on January 26th.
· To date, 119 seniors (approx. 32%) have applied to college and 360 applications have already been sent from the H.H.S. Counseling Office; 100 more than this time last year! This is a very busy time at the HS for this very important process with essays, letters of recommendations and applications that need to be filed by students. Typically, 85-90% of our graduates go on to college each year.
· Our HS musical production of “Footloose” in November was fantastic and received rave reviews from all who attended. Congratulations to all members from the cast and crew and staff who were involved in this outstanding production.
· We had two wonderful fall concerts with our vocal and instrumental music students. Their performances were terrific and will only improve as the year goes on. We look forward to our December HS concerts including a vocal concert on 12/18 and an instrumental concert on 12/19. Tis’ the season for music!
· Four Hilton HS athletic varsity teams won league championships this past fall season! Our boys and girls Cross Country teams, our girls Swimming and Diving team, and our girls soccer team, all won league titles. Congratulations to those athletes and coaches. Go Cadets!
Thanks for your continued support of Hilton HS. We’re planning for 2013 to conclude with great success and look forward with great anticipation to all that 2014 has to offer at HHS.
Happy and safe holidays to all!
Brian Bartalo; Hilton HS Principal
Tweet, Tweet, Tweet!! Follow us…
If you’re a “social media” person or are just looking to get some updates and interesting info from and about the “goings on” at Hilton HS, then follow Hilton HS @PrincipalBart on Twitter.
The HS Parent Newsletter is now being e-mailed home as well as published on this site, it will no longer be mailed. If you want a hard copy, one will be available in the HS Main Office, you can have your student stop by and pick it up. If you do not have a current e-mail listed on your childs records, please e-mail HSParents leaving your e-mail address along with your student(s) name. We will update our records.
Change of Family Information
If your family's address, home phone number, cell numbers, work phone numbers, email addresses, or any other information pertaining to your family situation changes or needs updating, please call Linda Maslyn in the Counseling Office, 392-1000, ext. 2053. Proof of residency is required for any change of address. Addresses will not be changed until proof of residency is confirmed. Keeping your family information current helps to ensure that you receive any information that is mailed out during the school year.
New students to our district will need to register at our Census Office located at 225 West Ave., Hilton, NY. Parents will need to provide student's original birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residency, custody or guardianship papers and address of the last school attended. Student's report card and any special education services received by the student are helpful, if available. Please call Dawn Blodgett at 392-1000, ext. 7031 with questions regarding registration or to have a registration packet mailed to you.